Sunday, February 27, 2011

Books being Movies

Okay, I'm loving The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm glad I haven't seen the movie yet because the book reflects the sense of intimacy and confusion of the characters that I'm glad to reading about before I see two actors try to display those emotions their skills. I have no doubt that the movie will be good but I'm enjoying this book immensely.

I have NOOK on my Droid cellphone and I get emails from Barnes and Noble about what is available. I'm still a book in my hands type of reader although I like the idea of Kindle and Nook. I just haven't made the final decision on whether I would truly use a Kindle or Nook. Anyways...back to the subject.

When I was devising my book list I saw Water for Elephants but decided against it but now I see it again as a book before a movie. I read ShopGirl by Steve Martin before seeing the movie, I liked the book better. The movie was drier than the book in my opinion.

A few books that have inspired or been made into movies recently...Book then (Movie title)
Accidental Billionaires (The Social Network)
Winter's Bone(Winter's Bone)
The King's Speech  (The King's Speech)
 True Grit (True Grit) in theaters now
Red Riding Hood (Red Riding Hood) in theaters now
Water for Elephants (Water for Elephants) coming to theaters soon
The Lincoln Lawyer (The Lincoln Lawyer) coming to theaters soon

Of course we know about Eat, Pray, Love; Kite Runner, An Education and the other recent novels that have been made into movies. I didn't know that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was a short story of F. Scott Fitzgerald which is older than what I'm wanting to talk about. And yes, the Twilight series. Again, I liked the books better than the movies although I like the movies enough to sit through them. I think I would like the movies better if I was a teenager just as I liked Anne Rice better when I was younger than I do now.

So, any books made into movies that you've read? Which did you like best, the book or movie? Why?

In a time where movies are being redone left and right, I'm GLAD books are being made into movies instead of just revamping a story that has already been told. The fact of revamping movies is a whole other post...
I know Michael has TONS of opinions about revamping movies.

2 comments:

  1. The Notebook and A Walk to Remember by Nicolas Sparks. I read The Notebook before watching the movie; liked them both. I saw A Walk to remember before reading the book. I had trouble getting into the book because there are some major differences. The Last Song by Nicolas Sparks, the book is a lot better than the movie. Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author, I read everything he writes. I haven't read A Safe Haven yet because of the wait at the library and I'm too cheap to buy it in hardcover knowing I will read it only once.

    I will not watch the Last Song movie, I cannot imagine that they captured the depth of the book in the movie, the pain of her father. I'd rather not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

Emerson

Anonymous comments will not be posted. Own what you say.