Saturday, February 26, 2011

Guilty Pleasures on the Screen

The Human CentipedeWe have some guilty pleasures, ones that you wouldn't want to have to explain and I think everyone has them. Michael sort of freaked out when he saw that I put our Netflix que on the sidebar. "You're broadcasting the B movies I want to see! That's not good," he said with a smirk. So what, he likes to watch ridiculous movies, especially horror. I don't watch them with him if I can help it, especially after seeing The Human Centipede. Eeek, shake it off gross. (Oh my, there's a Human Centipede 2, please don't tell Michael...) BUT, he watches these horrific (acting and plots) movies because it's something that he and his brothers (and friends) talk about. There's some weird type of competition to watch the most ridiculous movies out there and TALK about them. I guess that's the point of the movies, smirk.

Weeds: Season SixMe? I like watching ridiculous tv shows. Mary Louise Parker was in Fried Green Tomatoes (one of my favorite movies of all time) and no matter what character she plays, I see Idgie. I think Weeds' writing is mediocre but I like the show in part because of a silly loyalty to a childhood favorite movie. Weeds is sort of car accident that you slow down to see what happened, you hope no one got hurt but you still want to see the wreckage of stupidity as you pass by safely and unharmed.

Dexter: Seasons 1-4One of the best writing of television shows is Dexter. I couldn't stand watching Dexter on television because I wouldn't be able to watch the next episode as soon as I wanted to. I wait for it to come out on DVD and I don't subscribe to Showtime for that very reason. It is written better than most movies! The character development, the story lines with their twists and turns and the inevitable struggles the main character goes through...I cannot wait for the fifth season to be available on DVD!

We got hooked on series we don't usually watch on cable because of the network strike last year. We watched all the previous seasons of Entourage, Dexter, and Weeds and we started Spartacus: Blood and Sand. We want to try Nurse Jackie. A guy at our local Blockbuster (yes, I have rented what's not available through online streaming at Netflix from Blockbuster b/c I didn't want to wait...) tried to recommend Sons of Anarchy to me but I'm not interested.

Living Proof, Part 1On regular tv, my guilty pleasures are: Army Wives, Brothers & Sisters, Private Practice, Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, No Ordinary Family, Tabatha's Salon Takeover, Blue Bloods, Royal Pains, House, HawthoRNe, The Closer (favorite!), Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, Parenthood, The Good Wife, a few of the Real Housewives (remember car wreck analogy...), Desperate Housewives (sigh, I know), Covert Affairs, Rizzoli & Isles (love Angie Harmon), The Big Bang Theory (Penny {knock, knock} Penny {knock, knock} Penny), Chuck, Cougar Town, The Mentalist and the recently canceled Medium and The Whole Truth.

Michael enjoys Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, It's Me or the Dog, Fatal Attractions, Holmes on Homes and Holmes Inspection, V, American Chopper, Pawn Stars, LA Ink, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, Ultimate Recipe Showdown (we both like the reality cooking shows), MasterChef, Cake Boss, Top Gear (UK), his G4 shows: Attack of the Show and X-Play, Tosh.O, Glenn Beck, 1,000 Ways to Die (again his brothers), Dragon Ball Z Kai, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, It's Effin' Science, Penn Point, Diggnation, The Totally Rad Show, Revision 3, HDTV, Scam School, Tekzilla, TMZ, and Robot Chicken.

Thank goodness for TiVo! We can record our shows and watch them when we want, miss the reruns (unless we want to see them). We just realized we watch a lot of tv, which is weird because we really don't, just an hour a night most nights. It's TiVo...we always have something to watch when we're ready and our life doesn't revolve around the television. We could and might just turn off the cable, I think that would drive Michael more batty than me since I read way more than he does.

This post was written by both of us although I did the typing, he's been checking up on what I'm writing to make sure I include ALL his shows. We admit, we had to go through our Season Pass manager on TiVo to list it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

Emerson

Anonymous comments will not be posted. Own what you say.